Florida: Officials warn of deadly seawater bacteria

Posted on September 30, 2013 • Filed under: Tourists Die, Travel Health

Central Florida health officials are warning residents about seawater bacteria after a man died from exposure this week. Authorities in Flagler and Volusia counties are advising residents to avoid eating raw shellfish and exposing open wounds in seawater. The Daytona Beach News-Journal (http://bit.ly/19NujM0 ) reports that 59-year-old Henry Konietzky died Monday after he was exposed to bacteria called Vibrio vulnificus. He had been fishing for crabs in the Halifax River. Statewide, 29 cases and nine deaths have been linked to the bacteria this year. Read Article

Share This Story
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Add to favorites
  • email